Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 2 of 7  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 57 »
Syzmo
Post subject: Re: Zombie Apocalypse Survival Ship DiscussionPosted: May 15th, 2013, 3:17 pm
Thiel wrote:
Personally I'd go for something like an APD
That’s what I was leaning towards too, just couldn't remember the acronym. Thanks. I think a modern version of the DE APD conversions have the right combination of armament, transportation capability, and most importantly ability to be mass produced. Is there a modern ship that fills the same role? Do you guys agree with this type being optimal, and how do you think it would be equipped?

"All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity, but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." Thomas Edward Lawrence, The Seven Pillars of Wisdom

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: Zombie Apocalypse Survival Ship DiscussionPosted: May 15th, 2013, 3:40 pm
Why are you killing zombies with shipboard weapons??

[Profile] [Quote]
Syzmo
Post subject: Re: Zombie Apocalypse Survival Ship DiscussionPosted: May 15th, 2013, 3:52 pm
It's way safer than fighting them hand to hand. The highest concentrations of zombies in America will be on the eastern seaboard of the United States so when we finally get around to reclaiming those areas naval support will be essential.

"All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity, but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." Thomas Edward Lawrence, The Seven Pillars of Wisdom

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: Zombie Apocalypse Survival Ship DiscussionPosted: May 15th, 2013, 5:10 pm
Syzmo wrote:
Thiel wrote:
Personally I'd go for something like an APD
That’s what I was leaning towards too, just couldn't remember the acronym. Thanks. I think a modern version of the DE APD conversions have the right combination of armament, transportation capability, and most importantly ability to be mass produced. Is there a modern ship that fills the same role? Do you guys agree with this type being optimal, and how do you think it would be equipped?
The mass production of ships is something that has fallen by the wayside in modern times, but one thing I remind you of is that the larger you are, the less of your ship you have to give over to things like engines and support equipment. Thiel's idea of an LKA is a good one.

One thing I would strongly suggest is that you go with a diesel engine. They are much more reliable and offer better fuel efficiencies.

[Profile] [Quote]
Shipright
Post subject: Re: Zombie Apocalypse Survival Ship DiscussionPosted: May 15th, 2013, 5:19 pm
You really just need something large enough to mount a few dozen .50 tripods that can be brought in close enough to shore to mow down the beach. I would suggest a barge. Add a ramp and you can offload whatever will fit on that same barge, vehicles and people alike.

However, I can probably get a .50 on the bow of the Contender I picked up from whatever random abandoned marina there is out there. When I am done fishing I'll put a few hours in from my bow .50 mount while I finish the rest of my beer.

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: Zombie Apocalypse Survival Ship DiscussionPosted: May 15th, 2013, 5:38 pm
What if the fish are zombies?

[Profile] [Quote]
Gollevainen
Post subject: Re: Zombie Apocalypse Survival Ship DiscussionPosted: May 15th, 2013, 5:42 pm
screw the fish, what about giant zombie squids doing "red-allert" on your ships...?

[Profile] [Quote]
KHT
Post subject: Re: Zombie Apocalypse Survival Ship DiscussionPosted: May 15th, 2013, 5:51 pm
Most ships types mentioned here should be able to take salmon bouncing against the hulls. ;)
On the other hand, if we presume that these zombies work like they usually do(bacteria transfered through saliva and/or when they start noming other people), that would mean these bacteria had spread through the waters of the world for fishes to become infested, which would make water supplies tight(Yes, I'm aware that the ship in question could sport a water-cleaner of sort, but the "zombie-decease" would probably be something entirely unlike any other bacteria, something that would raise even more problems during the build up-phrase of the pandemia, since it would spread so much faster from the beginning...

EDIT: Saw Golly's comment. :lol:

[Profile] [Quote]
Syzmo
Post subject: Re: Zombie Apocalypse Survival Ship DiscussionPosted: May 15th, 2013, 6:01 pm
I expect the operation to reclaim the coastal U.S. will look similar to Vietnam War naval operations like Market Time. Something Equivalent to the PBRs will operate inshore and the few remaining pre apocalypse Navy warships will be kept relatively safe and formed into Yankee and Dixie Stations further out to sea where they will provide long range support. I am looking for ideas for the type of ship that will fill that intermediate zone close to the coast and provide direct support for the smaller boats and troops on the ground.

Diesel propulsion sounds good. Do you guys think a few larger ships would be better than a bunch of smaller ships?

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: Zombie Apocalypse Survival Ship DiscussionPosted: May 15th, 2013, 6:13 pm
Colosseum wrote:
What if the fish are zombies?
Gollevainen wrote:
screw the fish, what about giant zombie squids doing "red-allert" on your ships...?
In these situations, the best solution is the profligate use of atomic weaponry to maintain a space launch infrastructure long enough to get the equipment for a self-sustaining human presence off of the Earth. Once that's done, you sanitize the planet.

If you can't secure a 'clean' population and supplies to have an off-world presence, then the option of sanitizing the planet while you are on it is also an option.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 2 of 7  [ 68 posts ]  Return to “Off Topic” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 57 »

Jump to: