Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 6 of 12  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page « 14 5 6 7 812 »
sabotage181
Post subject: Re: CG(X) option two 23,000 ton BMD CGN(X)Posted: June 4th, 2013, 12:33 pm
acelanceloet wrote:
could you give me the dimensions on the waterline of your hull? (length, beam, depth, draft, draft OA, if possible) then I can do some estimations on your displacements and standard weights :)

Sorry it took me so long on this acelanceloet, but I knew there would be changes in the hull as i went along, then I forgot about it. But the memory was nagging at me. I'm just using the demensions in SB scale here (measuring pixels)

778 feet long
80* feet wide
24.5 feet depth (34 to bottom of sonor dome)

*im going with 80 feet for now, untill i do a front/back view

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: CG(X) option two 23,000 ton BMD CGN(X)Posted: June 4th, 2013, 2:47 pm
sabotage181 wrote:
acelanceloet wrote:
could you give me the dimensions on the waterline of your hull? (length, beam, depth, draft, draft OA, if possible) then I can do some estimations on your displacements and standard weights :)

Sorry it took me so long on this acelanceloet, but I knew there would be changes in the hull as i went along, then I forgot about it. But the memory was nagging at me. I'm just using the demensions in SB scale here (measuring pixels)

778 feet long
80* feet wide
24.5 feet depth (34 to bottom of sonor dome)

*im going with 80 feet for now, untill i do a front/back view
thank you. and now I have some bad news for you:
- the hull weight would be about 3527 metric tons (purely metal)
- the total displacement, if the hull shape follows that of other CG's, will be about 22000 metric tons.

I have some other comments as well, and I would like to point out some points I have pointed out earlier (most notably, that that propulsion setup is going to cause major problems) but I have no time for that right now.......

[Profile] [Quote]
Shipright
Post subject: Re: CG(X) option two 23,000 ton BMD CGN(X)Posted: June 4th, 2013, 3:12 pm
Three things:

1.) Those white boxes under the DESRON crest (thats what it would be, not the ship crest) I am assuming ar the ready service lockers that store either crew serve weapon ammo of chaff (they are white because of the sun shields attached to the outside). That being said you don't have anything there for them to serve to justify their existance. That spot on a DDG is reserved for chaff and Nulka, so I suggest you add those in front of and behind those lockers on that deck.

2.) Is that a set of ammidships VLS launchers on the deck below the ready service lockers behind the life rafts? If so that will not work as you can clearly see the port break entrance amidships opens right into that VLS magazine and they dimensions of your supersturctuer probably don't leave enough room for them their anyway.

3.) Are those single sets of 8 cell VLS amidships and aft of the stern gun? If so wfor what purpose? It really isn't worth it to have dedicated magazines with their associated deluge systems and other damage control requirements when you could just add them to the main launcher groups and use their systems. I would put harpoons in the amidships spot and just shorten the ship by removing all that extera stern area.

Last edited by Shipright on June 4th, 2013, 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
sabotage181
Post subject: Re: CG(X) option two 23,000 ton BMD CGN(X)Posted: June 4th, 2013, 4:29 pm
acelanceloet wrote:
thank you. and now I have some bad news for you:
- the hull weight would be about 3527 metric tons (purely metal)
- the total displacement, if the hull shape follows that of other CG's, will be about 22000 metric tons.

I have some other comments as well, and I would like to point out some points I have pointed out earlier (most notably, that that propulsion setup is going to cause major problems) but I have no time for that right now.......
Thank you again for the info. I have looked up how much a metric ton is and its 2206.....pounds, so if I'm doing this math right thats roughly 24,000 tons. is that correct?

I have removed the electric pods, perhaps an upgrade when the technoligy is more fully developed. I've gone with controllable pitch screws and bow thrusters. I have shortened the fantail a little bit, and I'm worried about AGS magazine space. is there still enough for the full sized mag?

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: CG(X) option two 23,000 ton BMD CGN(X)Posted: June 4th, 2013, 4:38 pm
This is how big she is. But the Stored magazine can be of different size depending on ships.

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
sabotage181
Post subject: Re: CG(X) option two 23,000 ton BMD CGN(X)Posted: June 4th, 2013, 4:58 pm
Shipright wrote:
Three things:

1.) Those white boxes under the DESRON crest (thats what it would be, not the ship crest) I am assuming ar the ready service lockers that store either crew serve weapon ammo of chaff (they are white because of the sun shields attached to the outside). That being said you don't have anything there for them to serve to justify their existance. That spot on a DDG is reserved for chaff and Nulka, so I suggest you add those in front of and behind those lockers on that deck.

2.) Are that a set of ammidshios VLS launchers on the deck below the ready service lockers behind the life rafts? If so that will work as you can clearly see the port break entrance amidships opens right into that VLS magazine and they dimensions of your supersturctuer probably don't leave enough room for them their anyway.

3.) Are those single sets of 8 cell VLS amidships and aft of the stern gun? If so wfor what purpose? It really isn't worth it to have dedicated magazines with their associated deluge systems and other damage control requirements when you could just add them to the main launcher groups and use their systems. I would put harpoons in the amidships spot and just shorten the ship by removing all that extera stern area.
Thank you shipright. That is indeed a desron crest...at least i think so....I took it from the Tico drawing from real ships....I was going to look into if it was the ships crest or a desron crest and I havnt yet. I did indeed know about the ready storage lockers holding amo, but had no idea they were used for chaff and nukla. thanks for that. There are plans for a gun right there but I still dont know where I'm going to put chaff or nukla. I was thinking of adding a overhang below the SLQ-32 for chaff (much the way USS Virgina's was set-up), but still not sure. As far as nukla, it was were the MK-15 is now, but the MK-15 is better there. Perhaps on top of one of the deck houses. Also I was looking to see how people have drawn nukla and I can find any.... :|

I was waiting for someone to say something about the small VSL's placed in different places. I've alrready removed the one in front of the forward AGS and the aft one also. I never have like the one below the ready mags, and had plans to change the superstructure entrance below it had I kept it. I want to leave the 16 midships there though, for LRASM. I would replace the harpoon launcers with this setp-up

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: CG(X) option two 23,000 ton BMD CGN(X)Posted: June 4th, 2013, 6:23 pm
I'm really glad we have someone with first-hand experience here. I often have questions about small gear lockers and other trivia on a ship - but unfortunately most of the men who would know the answer have long since passed since I draw stuff from the 1940s!

[Profile] [Quote]
Shipright
Post subject: Re: CG(X) option two 23,000 ton BMD CGN(X)Posted: June 4th, 2013, 7:48 pm
Sorry, can't help you with any stuff that old, though I live 100 yards from the USS Wisconson so if you need me to take any close up detail shots of a ship of that era of some first hand investigating I am your man.

[Profile] [Quote]
sabotage181
Post subject: Re: CG(X) option two 23,000 ton BMD CGN(X)Posted: June 4th, 2013, 7:51 pm
Colosseum wrote:
I'm really glad we have someone with first-hand experience here. I often have questions about small gear lockers and other trivia on a ship - but unfortunately most of the men who would know the answer have long since passed since I draw stuff from the 1940s!

Is that to say you are unimpressed with modern ships?

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: CG(X) option two 23,000 ton BMD CGN(X)Posted: June 4th, 2013, 7:55 pm
22000 metric tons is 21653 long tons or 24251 short tons.
in short, it seems like the earlier claims of this ship being too big make sense again...... but the larger radars and AGS (whatever they say, I just don't think the AGS lite takes only the space of an 5in gun) justify it at least partially again.

let me explain why I am against rotatable pods on fast ships.
1. on high speeds, where these ships are designed for, rotating the pods would shred them off if they are not reinforced compared with others.
thus, the ship can not steer with them, so you will still need rudders anyways.
2. due to them needing to rotate, they must be fitted on an entirely flat bit of hull. to create this flat bit, your stern shape is inperfect
3. the resistance of them is about as much as that of an regular prop axis, if the prop axis is not too long. that said, fixed pods, especially azimuths which have the engine on top of the pod instead of inside it have a lot less resistance then an prop axis
which makes me say the following: pods work on warships, as long as they are fixed with rudders aft of them :P and then it is what you like best, the reduction in power due to the additional gear parts to make the Z coupling to the prop, or the resistance of the prop axis (and of course a bit additional cost)

this is why the pods will never really get better for this purpose (well maybe with smaller electrical engines or gearing with less resistance, but still, fixed ones are the only ones that really work) due to the law of hydrodynamics and resistance ;)

watch out with bow thrusters in ships with sonars as well. I would suggest retractable trusters, like the perry and nansen classes have. these are less vulnerable, can rotate, and when retracted have no additional noise or resistance.

the crest instead of desron markings are an error found more on USN shipbucket drawings. IIRC, the only desron markings as of now are on my perry drawings. I should make a sheet with those.........

that midships VLS makes some sense if explained for LRASM, all other small ones I would certainly remove (logistics, replenishment and maintenance nightmare, if nothing else) and for that same reason I would consider moving the VLS cells to the main block as well
keep in mind that you also need to acces the replenishment hatches for the reactorwithout having to cut steel and equipment out, so you don't want VLS or anything like that on top of it.

also, a few questions and (drawing) remarks:
- why that one SEARAM on board? it makes little sens having both Mk 49 and the SEARAM. you have quite a lot RAM launchers on a relatively small space anyways.
- the praerie masker belts below the waterline might better be taken from the perry of DG/AEGIS drawings.
- you seem to have some grey lines which should be black (the sides of the SLQ platform for example) and some black which I would make grey (the middle line of the mast, for example)
- why's the much smaller mast still a tripod? I would think you could minimise this a bit
- was it meant for this ship to have no Mk 32 SVTT but an 21 inch TT? because that is what you have now.

ow, and great to learn why those white lockers are there on the burke shipright :P I wondered about them a lot.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 6 of 12  [ 118 posts ]  Return to “Beginners Only” | Go to page « 14 5 6 7 812 »

Jump to: