Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 10 of 29  [ 287 posts ]  Go to page « 18 9 10 11 1229 »
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Winged HeroesPosted: December 20th, 2010, 4:57 pm
[ img ]
to show I can make normal designs too: the Katana AA missile. front ones are air launched variants, third one is similar in role to the SM-2 and the last one is build for the ABM role aka SM-3. the versions only differ in booster and in active or semi-active seekers.

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: Winged HeroesPosted: January 2nd, 2011, 12:36 am
acelanceloet wrote:
and here it finally is.... the firs WIP of the new version of the camelot. old version on top, new version WIP below. every single detail can still be changed, but the main parts are in place.
'Huge ass picture removed*
comments?
Sponsoons all the way to the waterline is a BAD idea.

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Winged HeroesPosted: January 2nd, 2011, 10:08 am
Thiel wrote:
acelanceloet wrote:
and here it finally is.... the firs WIP of the new version of the camelot. old version on top, new version WIP below. every single detail can still be changed, but the main parts are in place.
'Huge ass picture removed*
comments?
Sponsoons all the way to the waterline is a BAD idea.
I know now. and it is way too large too. I will redo it (again) :D I think I will end up with just a few refinements to the old camelot I had made

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: Winged HeroesPosted: January 3rd, 2011, 3:57 am
acelanceloet wrote:
http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2010/ ... 359mdl.png
to show I can make normal designs too: the Katana AA missile. front ones are air launched variants, third one is similar in role to the SM-2 and the last one is build for the ABM role aka SM-3. the versions only differ in booster and in active or semi-active seekers.
These are very pretty. However, you have to remember a few things about the ABM mission. It's above the bulk of the atmosphere, and it has to be fast as a thief. You don't want that one to be longer than any other weapon - that way lies lack of commonality. You want to make it fat. This means big motors, but drag isn't really a concern. Take the SM-2ski booster and stick it on the back of a missile of the same diameter. Probably smaller tail fins, folding more aggressively. You aren't maneuvering much, after all. THAT gives you ABM.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Winged HeroesPosted: January 3rd, 2011, 3:49 pm
erik_t wrote:
acelanceloet wrote:
http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2010/ ... 359mdl.png
These are very pretty. However, you have to remember a few things about the ABM mission. It's above the bulk of the atmosphere, and it has to be fast as a thief. You don't want that one to be longer than any other weapon - that way lies lack of commonality. You want to make it fat. This means big motors, but drag isn't really a concern. Take the SM-2ski booster and stick it on the back of a missile of the same diameter. Probably smaller tail fins, folding more aggressively. You aren't maneuvering much, after all. THAT gives you ABM.
well, my idea for that one was the following: first the missile launches and make as much speed as possible. at the same time, it is moving towards the target area, towards great heights, but not yet at the end of the atmosphere. most speed is made in this stage. then the missile drops the booster, and advances towards the target. the booster itself is only made for great range and speed. the main missile differs only in the nose: the ABM and the long range air launched versions are the only ones which have active seekers, so they can take out targets even out of range from the launch unit's (guidance) radar

you think that is doable of could I better just use one booster for the long range and ABM versions?

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: Winged HeroesPosted: January 3rd, 2011, 7:49 pm
acelanceloet wrote:
well, my idea for that one was the following: first the missile launches and make as much speed as possible. at the same time, it is moving towards the target area, towards great heights, but not yet at the end of the atmosphere. most speed is made in this stage. then the missile drops the booster, and advances towards the target. the booster itself is only made for great range and speed. the main missile differs only in the nose: the ABM and the long range air launched versions are the only ones which have active seekers, so they can take out targets even out of range from the launch unit's (guidance) radar

you think that is doable of could I better just use one booster for the long range and ABM versions?
The idea is that the missile on the ABM version is probably not going to have the same diameter as the rest of the missiles. You want to take the booster for the long range ship launched version and make a wider missile body for the ABM version.

As for active seakers, The US is moving to make the long range ship launched missile have an active seeker with the SM-6.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Winged HeroesPosted: January 3rd, 2011, 8:27 pm
so it would be better do design an new missile for that task? ok, will do when I start on missiles again.
@ the booster: I might give all but the short range version an active seeker then, but do I need an different guidance system for that then? (in other words: is APAR still usefull for the long range ones?)

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Winged HeroesPosted: January 11th, 2011, 4:50 pm
[ img ]
well, one of the first things I pissed you guys of with when I came on shipbucket, was my fighter design, the phoenix fighter. and now, finally, I have gathered enough sense to start on an rebuild.

this one is only 20 meters long (still large, but useable) and has some influence from real world aircraft
tell me what you think, and if you can spot which aircraft this was originally based on :D

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: Winged HeroesPosted: January 11th, 2011, 4:57 pm
F-15 meets SR-71?

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Winged HeroesPosted: January 11th, 2011, 4:58 pm
nope, not even the country right :D

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 10 of 29  [ 287 posts ]  Return to “Alternate Universe Designs” | Go to page « 18 9 10 11 1229 »

Jump to: