5. Hawker Sea Fury  12%  [ 6 ]
6. Grumman F8F Bearcat  6%  [ 3 ]
7.Lavochkin La-9/ La-11  0%  [ 0 ]
8. Supermarine Spiteful/Seafang  6%  [ 3 ]
9. P-47N/XP-72/XP-47J  6%  [ 3 ]
10. Ki-84  8%  [ 4 ]
Total votes: 52
Gollevainen
Post subject: Re: Best Single Engined Prop FighterPosted: May 30th, 2012, 9:35 am
[ img ]

Kinda count the option assets as utter failure if the leading option in the poll is the infamous "other" ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
Novice
Post subject: Re: Best Single Engined Prop FighterPosted: May 30th, 2012, 4:21 pm
Looking at the list of options, it seems that the aircraft contending are those from late war to post war fighters. That in itself preclude some excellent aircraft like the Grumman Hellcat or the Curtiss Kittyhawk (and yes those two are not the epitome of fighters, but they were the best in their time). Missing are some of the French fighters like the Bloch MB.157 or Arsenal VB-10 and others.
The other option is somewhat self defeating IMHO as mentioned by Golly above.

"Never fear to try on something new. Remember that the Titanic was built by professionals, and the Ark by an amateur"

[Profile] [Quote]
Gollevainen
Post subject: Re: Best Single Engined Prop FighterPosted: May 30th, 2012, 5:39 pm
Well my complain is mainly that these are all allied figthers... not single axis type on the list.

[Profile] [Quote]
Novice
Post subject: Re: Best Single Engined Prop FighterPosted: May 30th, 2012, 7:06 pm
Gollevainen wrote:
Well my complain is mainly that these are all allied figthers... not single axis type on the list.
The list of these aircraft is from the time when the Axis have lost the war. There were no Axis fighters than. Best we can come up with are the German Dornier Do 335, or the Focke-Wulf Ta 152, or the purely experimental Messerschmitt Me 309, and there may be others, as by 1942 Germany was mostly designing jet powered fighters. In Italy the only fighter I can think of is the Macchi C.205 Veltro or Fiat G.55 Centauro . Japan was mostly concerned with stemming the tide of American long range bombers and for that was developing mostly twin engined night fighters, but there were aircraft like the Kawanishi N1K-J Shiden ("George"), or Kawasaki Ki-61 Hien ("Tony") and in a modified form known as Kawasaki Ki-100.Other good Japanese fighters were the Mitsubishi J2M Raiden ("Jack"), or the Zero's replacement Mitsubishi A7M Reppu ("Sam") and the best of them all the Nakajima Ki-84 Hayate ("Frank").
I will let Golly introduce to us the Soviet aircraft like Mig-13 and Yak-9.

"Never fear to try on something new. Remember that the Titanic was built by professionals, and the Ark by an amateur"

[Profile] [Quote]
Blackbuck
Post subject: Re: Best Single Engined Prop FighterPosted: May 30th, 2012, 7:24 pm
The German engined mid to late war Italian fighters were quite highly regarded on both sides, they just didn't appear in large enough numbers. Ditto the later model Fw-190s (namely the Ds and Ta-152s). The 335 wasn't/isn't really a fighter in the true sense of the word, it was much more a fighter-bomber or heavy fighter.

[Profile] [Quote]
Trojan
Post subject: Re: Best Single Engined Prop FighterPosted: May 30th, 2012, 9:11 pm
Ok I will make several changes one I will change this to best post-war or very very late war fighter (not including jets)
I didn't include the Italian designs because they weren't nearly as fast as these planes and I didn't include axis in general because well I ran out of poll options as the limit is 10
will replace the "other option" to an axis design (any advice which one)
If welcomed I will make early war early mid war mid war and late war polls as well and maybe for prewar planes and bombers as well
but only if such is welcomed

References and feedback is always welcome!

[Profile] [Quote]
Portsmouth Bill
Post subject: Re: Best Single Engined Prop Fighter From 1945 or LaterPosted: May 31st, 2012, 5:43 pm
There is only one Axis fighter:

[ img ]

Kurt Tanks masterpeice. High performance with a radial, and laminar flow wing; the British got their hands on one when the pilot mistook the Bristol Channel for the English Channel; so we got the Tempest after Hawkers worked over the Typhoon. Next to the Mustang (P-51) the most elegant, tight, and versatile fighter in WWII. And forget about all the poncey later vanity efforts, we are talking here about real planes flown by real combat pilots 8-)

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: Best Single Engined Prop Fighter From 1945 or LaterPosted: May 31st, 2012, 6:21 pm
The Me-109 is one of my favorite planes.

It's very hard for me to pick a "favorite" aircraft of World War II -- there are so many that are so cool. They all had style and panache (unlike military hardware of today). My list definitely includes the Hurricane, Spitfire, Me-109, P-40, P-39, and F4U Corsair though.

[Profile] [Quote]
Carthaginian
Post subject: Re: Best Single Engined Prop Fighter From 1945 or LaterPosted: May 31st, 2012, 6:25 pm
Personally- the Hellcat, the KittyHawk, the FW-190, and the Thunderbolt.
I like the tough aircraft over the sexy ones.

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: Best Single Engined Prop Fighter From 1945 or LaterPosted: May 31st, 2012, 6:53 pm
I like the early-war Allied aircraft that held the line against the Nazis and Japanese personally. P-40s, P-39s, Buffaloes, etc.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 4 of 7  [ 64 posts ]  Return to “Off Topic” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 »

Jump to: