Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 7 of 17  [ 162 posts ]  Go to page « 15 6 7 8 917 »
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: CV 58 - United StatesPosted: January 27th, 2012, 9:45 pm
I agree, and it is also explicitly explained so in Friedman's book. Indeed, the Forrestals were an 'economy'-version, if that term may be allowed of the US-design, to allow its passage through a still weary Congress, which still was being lobbied by the USAF-cliques!

[Profile] [Quote]
klagldsf
Post subject: Re: CV 58 - United StatesPosted: January 28th, 2012, 12:58 am
Certainly interesting, though it leaves me wondering about that large gap underneath the fore part of the flight deck (and why I asked in the first place). I'd also find it interesting if, had it been built, if it would've been completed with an angled deck and more traditional island as the Forrestals (which were also originally laid as angled-deck-less carriers).

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: CV 58 - United StatesPosted: January 28th, 2012, 1:21 am
That depends on. It was originally laid down in 1948 for projected completion in 1951. At that time there were no angled-deck carriers in service. I believe, if my memory doesn't fail me, that the first British trial onboad the HMS Triumph took place in 1953, followed two years later by the USN with USS Antietam. So, my guess is that it would have required a major rebuilding to bring the United States and her probable sister in line. Now, if she would have had any sisters, their building period might have entailed any of them to be redesigned while on the slips and thus being completed with an enclosed, hurricane bow and angled deck!

[Profile] [Quote]
Hawkeye
Post subject: Re: CV 58 - United StatesPosted: January 28th, 2012, 1:54 am
Here's a link to the Forrestal-Class. One pic (the 2nd) shows the first design as a flushdeck carrier
with an angle deck and closed hurricane bow/Atlantic bow.

http://www.navsource.org/archives/02/59.htm

[Profile] [Quote]
CanisD
Post subject: Re: CV 58 - United StatesPosted: January 28th, 2012, 2:11 am
[ img ][ img ]
The original Forrestal design from Friedman's Carrier Design book, generally very similar to the United States.

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: CV 58 - United StatesPosted: January 28th, 2012, 2:11 am
klagldsf wrote:
Certainly interesting, though it leaves me wondering about that large gap underneath the fore part of the flight deck (and why I asked in the first place). I'd also find it interesting if, had it been built, if it would've been completed with an angled deck and more traditional island as the Forrestals (which were also originally laid as angled-deck-less carriers).
I just double checked my sources and I can't find any of them that have the gap as shown.

[Profile] [Quote]
CanisD
Post subject: Re: CV 58 - United StatesPosted: January 28th, 2012, 2:25 am
To me it looks like the semi-enclosed bow that was on the Midway. The photos of the tank-test model I've seen have a bow very similar to Midway, with two twin 3" mounts.

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: CV 58 - United StatesPosted: January 28th, 2012, 3:07 pm
CanisD is right; it should be a semi-enclosed bow. Otherwise getting a very nifty progress here! When finished, I may, in fact print it out, crop it to fit and put it in the Friedman book. That's how good it's turning out!

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: CV 58 - United StatesPosted: January 28th, 2012, 4:52 pm
The open bow shown here would be borderline impossible both from a structural perspective and the need to fit some very beefy catapults into a very small space.

[Profile] [Quote]
Hawkeye
Post subject: Re: CV 58 - United StatesPosted: January 28th, 2012, 8:40 pm
Have made a little update to fill the free space below the forward flight deck like you can see by the
Midway-Class (red arrow).
The aircrafts are not competed. Am searching for them.

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 7 of 17  [ 162 posts ]  Return to “Never-Built Designs” | Go to page « 15 6 7 8 917 »

Jump to: