Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 76 of 90  [ 900 posts ]  Go to page « 174 75 76 77 7890 »
Ashley
Post subject: BC Feldmarschall Yorck 1922Posted: April 20th, 2012, 12:19 pm
Good argument.

So the Ersatz-Yorck becomes from now on the Yorck-class BCs. SMS Yorck inherited her name from the armoured cruiser of 1903 that was lost to a fatal mine hit in 1914.
The Yorck class BC were the last class of german battlecruisers. Armed with 8x15" guns she was the counterpart of the british Admiral-class. Her keel was layed down in mid 1918, she was comissioned in 1922. The armistice gave the need for new and bigger freighters a much higher priority, so she was delayed one year. Her sisters Karl der Große and Roon were built on different yards at Kiel an Danzig and were also launched in 1922.
Yorck was refitted several times and saw action at France and until the invasion of the british isles. After the war she transported german soldiers all over the world and brought back british ones. In 1950 shoe was decommissioned and scrapped in 1951. Karl der Große fought at the spanish civil war on nationalist side and was officially given to Spain in 1939. Roon was torpedoed 40 miles north of her harbor only by the british submarine HMS Searcher in November 1946 after action against Iceland. She made it half the way back to Wilhelmshaven until she had to be evacuated. Today the wreck is visited often by divers, she lies 25m deep only.
[ img ]
small error: at this time she is SMS Feldmarschall Graf Yorck, of course.

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: Kriegsmarine 1946, second approachPosted: April 20th, 2012, 2:01 pm
Now, those names I can totally buy! Good choices!

[Profile] [Quote]
klagldsf
Post subject: Re: Kriegsmarine 1946, second approachPosted: April 20th, 2012, 5:13 pm
Agreed.

[Profile] [Quote]
Ashley
Post subject: CA Admiral Brommy-classPosted: April 24th, 2012, 1:28 pm
The P-class cruisers seemed good balanced ships but the loss of Graf Spee showed the danger of concentrating the firepower on two turrets only. So the orders for two P-class ships were changed into Seydlitz-class CA successors.
The hull was taken from P-class as the nontroubled Diesel engines. A new triple turret was constructed, connecting the superior loading tech of the 11" with the excellent 8" gun. Secondairy artillery and heavy aa were combined in the new 5" twin DP turret. 4x 3,7cm unshielded twins, 5x 2cm quad and 8x 2cm single did the light aa job. 4x 3 torpedo launchers were installed amidships. Two floatplanes were stores in the hanger, one on the catapult, they proved useless, radar made targets also visible. The DPs were optical guided each director led two turrets.
'Brommy' was commissioned 1943. She operated 1944 and 45 on the french atlantic coast as flaggship for a taskforce hunting down smugglers and sometimes intruders. In march 1945 the french cruisers Duguay-Trouin, Duquesne and eight destroyers tried a raid on the taskforce stationed at La Rochelle but they were detected to soon by german radar outposts. The bold french were massacred, four destroyers managed to retreat.
In 1946 the taskforce relocated to Brest were Brommy and the other ships stayed until 1947. They brought up 197 ships of any kind in that time, just one Flottenbegleiter was lost to a lucky british torpedo.
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Ashley
Post subject: CA Admiral ArnimPosted: April 24th, 2012, 1:53 pm
The second ship of the Admiral Brommy-class was the Admiral Arnim. She was commissioned in feb. 1944 and diferred from Brommy to her state-of-the-art-radar. Her armament was not changed only 8 Foehn-launchers were added. The heavy radar euipment was mostly added to existing optical directors, the target data was still transfered manually.
Admiral Arnim was part of the Themse invasion fleet in 1946. The british ultradreadnought HMS Conqueror hit her turret D with a single 20" on 8 miles distance only. The upgoing magazine ripped off the whole aft section of Arnim but she kept up. RAF-fighters found the steerless ship a light prey, after two hours of permanent attacks Arnim was stranded.
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
denodon
Post subject: Re: Kriegsmarine 1946, second approachPosted: April 24th, 2012, 3:52 pm
I must say I love the look of the Brommy. Sleek and powerful. Still triple screws by the looks of it?

[Profile] [Quote]
Ashley
Post subject: Re: Kriegsmarine 1946, second approachPosted: April 25th, 2012, 9:33 am
denodon wrote:
Still triple screws by the looks of it?
Yes. The hull is (nearly) equal to P-class cruiser. 12 diesels working on 3 shafts.

[Profile] [Quote]
LEUT_East
Post subject: Re: Kriegsmarine 1946, second approachPosted: April 25th, 2012, 9:35 am
These are so damn good mate. I am flabbergasted - my flabber has never been so gasted :mrgreen:

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
denodon
Post subject: Re: Kriegsmarine 1946, second approachPosted: April 25th, 2012, 10:04 am
Ah makes sense. I like the idea of the diesel propulsion even if there may at first be some mechanical issues (but isn't there always?). Would they be direct drive or diesel-electric which would allow for cruising and high performance engines? (Sorry for these questions but I don't know much about the Z plan designs other than the M Project).

[Profile] [Quote]
adenandy
Post subject: Re: Kriegsmarine 1946, second approachPosted: April 25th, 2012, 11:45 am
Fantastic drawings!

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 76 of 90  [ 900 posts ]  Return to “Alternate Universe Designs” | Go to page « 174 75 76 77 7890 »

Jump to: