Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 2  [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 »
acelanceloet
Post subject: dockwise 'Type Zero' super semi-sub heavy lift transportPosted: February 9th, 2011, 8:52 pm
[ img ]
tell me what you guys think.
http://www.dockwise.com/page/fleet/type-0.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEtJOKDvUfY

[Profile] [Quote]
rd77
Post subject: Re: dockwise 'Type Zero' super semi-sub heavy lift transportPosted: February 10th, 2011, 8:10 am
Great stuff! I just read the other day that a yard has been selected (Hyundai in South Korea) and the vessel will be delivered in Q4 2012. Nice first drawing of this mammoth, based on what little info and drawings there currently are. As the vessel approaches delivery, I'm sure more details will emerge (such as: placement of anchors, radars, etc.)

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: dockwise 'Type Zero' super semi-sub heavy lift transportPosted: February 10th, 2011, 9:37 am
indeed. I doubt I have missed much though: there is simply no place for radars and such. maybe one on a small mast on the bridge, but as there is no detail about it and it would be in the way of the crane.......
I doubt anchors are really needed, but well..... the only other thing that misses are some navigation lights.

[Profile] [Quote]
Novice
Post subject: Re: dockwise 'Type Zero' super semi-sub heavy lift transportPosted: February 10th, 2011, 5:48 pm
This shouldn't be here, as it was not build yet, or am I wrong?
BTW a very nice drawing of a ship which in my eyes doesn't look so much as a ship.

"Never fear to try on something new. Remember that the Titanic was built by professionals, and the Ark by an amateur"

[Profile] [Quote]
klagldsf
Post subject: Re: dockwise 'Type Zero' super semi-sub heavy lift transportPosted: February 10th, 2011, 6:03 pm
acelanceloet wrote:
I doubt anchors are really needed
That would imply this ship does two things: be docked, or be in a constant state of motion.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: dockwise 'Type Zero' super semi-sub heavy lift transportPosted: February 10th, 2011, 6:15 pm
Novice wrote:
This shouldn't be here, as it was not build yet, or am I wrong?
BTW a very nice drawing of a ship which in my eyes doesn't look so much as a ship.
she's ugly, but an cool concept, and she will be floating next year, so it is very likely that it will be build.....
and as the holland class OPV was already in the real designs section before they started building it as far as I know, so ......... but that raises a question: should 'future build' be submitted to 'never build' ?
klagldsf wrote:
acelanceloet wrote:
I doubt anchors are really needed
That would imply this ship does two things: be docked, or be in a constant state of motion.
it will mostly be those 2..... and I have no idea where to place the anchors, as you can't add them to movable structures or mount them underwater, so the only place they could be placed is on the large structure, near the lifeboats. as far as I know, this would give as much problems as it would solve.......

btw, when do merchant ships use anchors these days? when they are waiting to enter an harbor, when they are waiting for something in general..... I don't see much use for them on a ship like this, but I can be wrong, of course.

[Profile] [Quote]
Portsmouth Bill
Post subject: Re: dockwise 'Type Zero' super semi-sub heavy lift transportPosted: February 10th, 2011, 6:23 pm
I would think that if the design is ordered for production that would justify it here. Its my own opinion, but 'Never Built' seems more suitable for projects that we can safetly confine to history.

[Profile] [Quote]
klagldsf
Post subject: Re: dockwise 'Type Zero' super semi-sub heavy lift transportPosted: February 10th, 2011, 6:38 pm
acelanceloet wrote:
and I have no idea where to place the anchors, as you can't add them to movable structures or mount them underwater, so the only place they could be placed is on the large structure, near the lifeboats. as far as I know, this would give as much problems as it would solve.......
Why?

And before you say anything, compare this picture:

[ img ]

To this picture:

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: dockwise 'Type Zero' super semi-sub heavy lift transportPosted: February 10th, 2011, 6:40 pm
that corrects part of my assumption.... but still, you can see that the anchor winches are still above the waterline. so, you could say..... has an submarine an anchor? if that is possible, then I stand corrected :P

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: dockwise 'Type Zero' super semi-sub heavy lift transportPosted: February 10th, 2011, 7:43 pm
Modern submarines have flush-mount anchors in the cladding forward of the forward pressure bulkhead. Here is an example.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 2  [ 15 posts ]  Return to “Real Designs” | Go to page 1 2 »

Jump to: